Open Designs

open_design.jpgIt has become obscenely easy to create a professional looking website.
When my first site went up in 1995, I started from scratch. The concept of a template simply didn’t exist.
Nowadays, you can put up a nice looking site by filling out a form that publishes your content into a pre-built template. My customers do just that at my Northwest Arkansas Info site.
However, you who want to build a website that you have full control of can also take advantage of prebuilt templates.
The problem is that people want to SELL them to you.

Read more…

Left-Handers Day

There is a group of the world’s population (about 13%) that has long been viewed by the other 87% with suspicious eyes. In fact, the term “sinister” is derived from a term for these individuals. For ages, they were viewed as possibly cursed by God, as well as being untrustworthy. Children found with this inclination were forced in schools to become like the majority in a misguided attempt to spare them from the bane of who they were.
I’m speaking about the left-handers among us.
Today’s FamilyFirst site is the official one of Left-Handers Day (August 13). It is also the home site of the Left-Handers Club. Here’s their mission:

Read more…

Amusement Park Physics

No doubt about it: we all love amusement parks. If you’re fortunate enough to live close enough to one to buy a season pass, that’s great! And if a trip to an amusement park involves planning a vacation around it, well, that’s okay too. We still love them.
However, did you ever stop to think about the SCIENCE behind amusement parks? I’m talking about physics, that most mathematical of sciences. Physics play a huge part in designing amusement park rides that are fun, safe, and exciting.
That’s where today’s FamilyFirst site comes into play: Amusement Park Physics.
For instance, let’s take that most dramatic of amusement park rides: the roller coater. Note what the site has to say about the heart-in-your-throat experience of riding a wild coaster:

Read more…

Cleaning Your Registry


I had a nightmare with my computer this past weekend. I was surfing the net, got an error from one site I visited, but didn’t think anything about it. When I finished with my computer for the day, I turned it off, and it shut down normally. But when I turned it on the next day, I got the infamous “Windows has encountered an error and needs to shut down” error. I got this while I was booting to Windows, so what I wound up with was a blue screen with a cursor (not a Blue Screen of Death, just a desktop with no icons). To make a long story short, I was able to recover thanks to the Windows Restore function. But in looking back at what happened, I realize there was a time bomb in my computer waiting to go off. If I had installed and used the subject of today’s Family First Site, this might not have happened to me.

Read more…