5 Busy Mom Workout Tips from Fitness Expert Mai Tran
July 6, 2012 1 Comment
You officially have no excuse – working out can be done, even with a little one!
You burn fat, slim down and feel stronger if you try these 5 exercises one time a day, three times a week from fitness spokesmodel Mai Tran. Tran’s new book, co-written with Marc Zappulla, “Active Girls, Healthy Women” made its debut last week in bookstores.
Here are Tran’s 5 exercises:
- Chair dip – on the edge of a sturdy chair (no Laz-E-Boys) with hands on the seats. Slide off the seat so your arms are holding you up. Bend your arms so your butt goes below the chair’s seat. Repeat 10-15 times for 3 sets with a rest in between. Works your triceps.
- Standing squats – Stand with feet hip-distance apart and toes pointing forward. Lean your chest forward slightly. Bend your knees like you’re sitting down in a chair. Keep your weight back on your heels. Your knees should be over your toes. Keep abdominal muscles tight while squatting. Repeat the squatting motion 10-15 times for 3 sets with a rest in between. Works legs and abs.
- Leg lifts – lie down on your back with arms down by your sides. Keep your feet flat, no bend in your knees. Raise your legs up off the floor to a 45 degree angle (that’s about halfway up from the floor). Repeat 10-15 times or as many times as you can.
- Modified push up – on all fours on the floor with knees together, bent slightly. Your hands should be slightly wider than your shoulders and pressed to the floor. Now with arms straight, bend at the elbow and lower your chest to the floor. Press back up. Work up to 10-15 reps for 3 sets. This works your chest.
- Standing calf raises – standing with feet shoulder-width apart, raise up to the balls of your feet, lifting your heels off the floor. Pause and return to the start. Do this 10-15 times for 3 sets . This works your calf muscles.
All of these can be done when you have time – do some chair dips when you are watching TV or talking on the phone. Try your squats while you wait for the microwave to cook lunch. Do your calf raises while your little one draws you a picture or while you stand at the printer at work.
Check out Trans book full of great ideas to get young girls in the habit of exercising at a young age to build up to a lifelong healthy lifestyle. It’s available on Amazon.com and her website www.activegirlshealthywomen.com.
Tags: Active Girls Healthy Women, busy moms guide to exercise, calf raises, chair dips, exercise, fitness, Mai Tran, squatsHealth, Sports